Monday, November 29, 2021

Sri Lanka & Consumer Rights

In 2019, I have purchased a Solar System. During the purchase the vendor was bragging about the German inverter and how good it was. Their website and Facebook pages, Quotation, all directly states or implies that their inverter is MADE IN GERMANY. However, After fixation, I saw a sticker on the side of the inverter saying it is made in China. So I tried to sort this out with the Vendor. after going around in circles, I made a complaint to the Consumer Affairs Authority of Sri Lanka. It Goes as this
01. I have obtained a Solar System from {vendor name redacted}. Before and during purchase, the Sales team and Company's brochures stated that their Inverter is a "German". This was the main sales pitch and I choose them over less priced quotations mainly because of this. After the installation, it took nearly 4 months to get CEB approval because of a faulty inverter and during this time, I noticed the Manufacturer's sticker attached to the inverter states that it is "Made in China". Then I have realized that Have been deceived by {vendor name redacted}. I tried to resolve this issue with them over email/ telephone conversation, but all actions were in vain. (please see below for the email correspondence with the vendor. I have also attached the brochure they have sent me which includes a certificate obtained from Sustainable Energy Authority (SLSEA/SBS/XXXXX), and other screenshots stating this is a German Inverter.

 

02. Further to this, in their proposal Page 19, Routine Maintenance, they state that they perform two services per year. To this date, there have been none performed by them.

 

03. (Proposal Page 19, Routine Maintenance) It states System troubleshooting/ debugging will be carried out continuously by {vendor name redacted} Ltd using SMA Sunny Portal. With remote monitoring via internet using the SMA sunny Portal and associated hardware, it has been enabled for adverse trends and problems to be spotted and rectified remotely. There was a partial breakdown and reduction in energy production after the system installation. They have attended to this ONLY after I have noticed this by myself though production decrease, called them several times. This took roughly about one month, during I have lost potential energy production.

 

I feel my rights as a consumer has been violated and this vendor may have misled many consumers like me, and continue to do so in the future. Hence, please take necessary actions to prevent this type of misconduct.

 

Then There was a preliminary hearing. after two months I sent this to Consumer Affairs Authority (CAA)

 

Regarding the captioned complaint and subsequent meeting held on 2020.10.06, it was agreed that {vendor name redacted} will look into the possibility of procuring a German Made Inverter. Since more than two months past now, would like to know if there is any updates regarding the matter.

Then nothing happened for a year.

Then There was a Inquiry. At that the vendor's representative kept going in circles stating this mother company is in German so all the products, no matter the actual place of making, can be considered as German.
 

More details on next post.... cont.

No comments: